Monday, January 26, 2009

Will They Ever Learn?

Why are the Danes even pursuing a case against Geert Wilders for expressing his opinion and telling a story, based on actual facts and quotes? Do they not believe in the most basic freedom, freedom of speech? This case is based on their somewhat odd idea that you can legislate what will "insult... Muslim worshipers." Unfortunately, this case insults me. Where an I to go for redress?

Fortunately, Mr. Wilders has support from many Europeans who are tiring of being told they have to bow down to Islam's ideas and not insult Mohamed's followers. If you've watched "Fitna," you know that Wilders simply interspersed quotes directly from the Muslim holy book with images, news pieces and quotes from Muslim speakers. This is the truth. And as one speaker said, "The truth is sometimes offensive... but it doens't make it any less true."

And remember, the group forwarding the prosecution of Mr. Wilders is the same group that held violent riots and demonstrations because someone drew this:




When all men are free to speak their minds, then will we truly have freedom of speech. Noam Chomsky said, "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." I agree. In America we quote Voltaire and say, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Hat Tip Jawa Report for getting me started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to remove any and all comments I deem offensive. No ad hominem attacks. Only factually based arguments are allowed.